Benefits of a Degree in Classics
Classics opens up the life of the mind and spirit like no other academic subject. In the Department of Classics at Notre Dame, you can study the structure of language and the history of culture with faculty who are not only leaders in their fields, but also generous with their time. Our students receive personalized academic advising and instruction. Even The New York Times agrees that Latin and Greek should be important facets of modern education. Check out their article, "A Vote for Latin."
Graduates of our Early Christian Studies program have been accepted into the finest doctoral programs in the nation. Our undergraduates receive the finest training available in the humanities as they study the philosophical and religious traditions that form the foundation of Western society and Catholicism.
As The Princeton Review states:
“We can’t overestimate the value of a Classics major. Check this out: according to the Association of American Medical Colleges, students who major or double-major in Classics have a better success rate getting into medical school than do students who concentrate solely in biology, microbiology, and other branches of science. Crazy, huh?
Furthermore, according to Harvard Magazine, Classics majors (and math majors) have the highest success rates of any majors in law school. Believe it or not: political science, economics, and pre-law majors lag fairly far behind. Classics majors also consistently have some of the highest scores on GREs of all undergraduates, as shown in a study conducted by the American Academy of Arts and Sciences:
Ultimately, though, Classics majors get on well in life because they develop intellectual rigor, communication skills, analytical skills, the ability to handle complex information, and, above all, a breadth of view which few other disciplines can provide.”
Download the University of Notre Dame Department of Classics Brochure
Need more proof? Here are several links to browse, attaining to the joy a Classical degree brings:
- The Effects Latin has on English grammar
- Classics Majors find their futures in the past
- A Degree in Classics is great, but you have to be able to explain how it is beneficial to employers. Here's how
- Surprisingly, not all Med students majored in Bio, and not all Lawyers majored in Law
- When Forbes publishes an article about success, you know it has to be true
- A Youtube Video from the National Education Report
- For those looking to strengthen the body as well as the mind via Classics, here's a 300 inspired workout
- Materials Benefitting Classics Promotion
- Another Website dedicated to promoting Latin!
- Leading Benefits of Classical Studies
- A healthy dose of Latin helped a Brooklyn academy skyrocket to the top of U.S. News and World Report's high school rankings.
- 12 Reasons to be a Classics Major in the 21st Century